Tuesday, February 28, 2012
This morning, my friend, Janet, a wonderful writer and all around great gal, sent a note telling me she'd selected me as a recipient of the coveted Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award. It goes without saying that I felt deeply honoured. As well as being a talented writer and blogger, Janet is a terrific reader - something of a blog connoisseur in fact - so an award from her means a lot.
I'm advised that an acceptance speech for the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award normally takes the form of seven random facts about the recipient - so here goes:
1. My favourite after-work-before-I-go-running snack is three whole grain crackers, three slices of marble cheddar and a glass of orange/grapefruit juice.
2. Except for Christmas carols, I enjoy singing the old hymns I sang growing up more than anything else. "The Old Rugged Cross" is a particular favourite and makes me weep uncontrollably at funerals.
3. The best thing about my high school boyfriend was that he wore a beige leather jacket that smelled wonderful. I've never for a minute regretted our breakup - but I still think of him whenever I catch a whiff of a leather jacket.
4. Hands down, my favourite thing to do is to snuggle my nieces and nephews. Don't tell Husband, but it's even better than snuggling him. ;-)
5. In high school and university, I was crazy about acting (yes, Janet, me too!) For awhile, I even dreamed of becoming an actress. The high points of my all-too-brief life in the theatre were supporting roles in "Fiddler on the Roof" (Tzeitel), "Crimes of the Heart" (Chick), and "The Imaginary Invalid" (Toinette). One of my greatest regrets is that I left high school a year early and missed out on the opportunity to play Anne in "Anne of Green Gables". I think it might have changed my life.
6. I didn't watch the Oscars last night because I don't have television. I mean I do have a television. It's just not hooked up to anything except a DVD player. In any case, I'm glad I didn't watch. I'm told Billy Crystal got to kiss George Clooney - and that just doesn't seem fair.
7. I'm a pretty good dancer. At least I think so. And, if others disagree, I don't care. Not one little bit.
Once again, my heartfelt thanks to the members of the Academy for this most prestigious award.