Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Still running... but too darn tired to write about it


It's been a few weeks since I last wrote about running. It's not that I haven't been running. In fact, I've been running a lot - 42kms last week, 55kms the week before, and 53kms the week before that. The trouble is I've been too tired and busy to write about it.

The transit strike in HRM continues into it's 6th week so I'm spending more time commuting than I'm used to - much of it on foot. And work has been more frantic than usual. And I've gotten involved in planning a reunion for my college classmates next summer. And Husband and I are embroiled in selling one house and buying another. So, as I say, busy.

What I find interesting is how tough I'm finding it to run back and forth to work - even just a few days a week. I'm a marathoner, after all. Ten kilometres round trip should feel like a walk in the park - but, for some reason, it doesn't.

Blame it on the hills. The route between my apartment and the office is quite hilly, and I'm usually in a rush so running more quickly than I might otherwise. Added to which, my body's not used to running so frequently or with a backpack. (The backpack's small and light, but it still affects my form.)

In any case, I really don't think it should feel so difficult so I've decided I'll keep running to work at least twice a week even when (if?) the strikes ends - on the theory that, if it feels this hard, it must be good for me. (I know, I know. It's a theory I should probably examine more closely. And I will. Just as soon as I have a bit more time.)

By the way, for those of you who've asked about the logistics of running to work, they're not all that complicated. I take a week's worth of clothes into the office on Monday. Then, when I arrive in the morning, I strip off my running gear, give myself a quick wash, pull my hair into a ponytail, and get dressed for the day. Admittedly, it would be easier to clean myself up if there was a shower in my building but, since there isn't, I rely on a little trick I picked up from Brad Pitt. Baby wipes. I keep a package of them at the office and use two or three to wash off the worst of the sweat and grime before putting on my work clothes. Given that the weather's still pretty cool, I don't sweat much anyway so baby wipes are all that's needed to keep me feeling fresh as a daisy (well, almost). I take a proper shower when I arrive home in the evenings.

See? Not hard at all. And so worth it to avoid spending hours in a car stuck in traffic every day. At least, I think so.

And, with that, dear readers, it's off to bed for this runner. I promise I'll get back to posting more regularly about my running adventures just as soon as I feel a little less tired. Until then...

PS The photo above is of our country house. I took it at the end of my LSR a couple of weeks ago. The big pine tree in the foreground is one of my favourite things about the property.

1 comment:

  1. Whew - I'm tired just thinking about all those miles you're logging! You are going to be so ready for that 50K in May, Janice! Hope you're doing lots of refueling after these amazing runs.

    As for the hills - am a little worried about the Bluenose half and all the hills in Halifax/Dartmouth. I think I may have to tackle Conquerall Bank Road more than once a week to be prepared. There's lots of hills on your 50K isn't there? Oh, yeah, you'll be so ready!!

    Hoping the transit strike ends soon for you and all the other commuters in HRM!

    ReplyDelete