Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My bucket list

I've reached that point in my life where it seems like a good idea to make a bucket list - that is, a list of the things I'd like to do before I kick the bucket.  Given the longevity that runs through both sides of my family, I hope my bucket-kicking day is still decades away - but of course one never knows when one will be hit by a bus or carried out to sea by a rogue wave, so it's probably better to make the list and get busy crossing things off it as soon as possible.

In preparation for making my list, I've been doing some internet research. It seems like a lot of bucket lists are made up of things people think they should do - read the classics, see the wonders of the world, run an ultra-marathon or learn a new language.  In the end, there will likely be some of those things on my list (an ultra-marathon for sure!), but I'd like to put other things on the list as well - things that resonate with who I am at a more essential level.

So far, the only things I've come up with are these:
1) live somewhere where I wake up every morning to the sound of waves and sunshine streaming through my bedroom window;
2) spend time in a holy place doing a lot of meditation, yoga, running and community service; and
3) be there for someone who is dying in whatever way they need me to be there.

Hmm. It seems like a fairly odd list so far.  Clearly, putting a bucket list together is going to be more difficult than I thought.

Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment