Sunday, October 31, 2021

Running lessons: Practicing patience

Week one of my "Return to Running" went reasonably well - at least, until this morning, when I awoke to torrential rain and couldn't quite persuade myself to suck it up and go running anyway, though I knew I'd probably enjoy it if I did. 

The forecast says the rain should let up around suppertime so I'm hoping to hit the road later, but it may not happen. Husband's been away visiting family in Ontario for the better part of two weeks and is due to arrive home any minute now. I won't want to head out for a run too soon after he gets in, but may be able to squeeze in 5 or 6 kms before supper. If not, I'll do it tomorrow morning instead.

None of my runs this week felt great but that's to be expected. Each time I started to feel discouraged, I reminded myself to "practice my patience", as my nephew used to say. Experience has taught me that even a few weeks of regular training make running feel more natural. I just need to be patient and trust the process.

In other news, the wind and rain over the past week brought down most of the remaining leaves, though there are still occasional splashes of colour to be savoured along the way. And I love the dry swish and scent of fallen leaves almost as much. Autumn really is the best time of year for running.

Here's another image from our visit to Keji a couple of weeks ago. Next October, I'd like to spend a week there exploring the park's wonderful network of trails. It's a spectacular spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment