Friday, October 28, 2011

Have I mentioned lately how much I like my commute?


We've had some grim, grey weather lately but this morning was gloriously cool, clear and sunny. As I stood waiting for the bus, Sullivan's Pond gleamed in the sunshine and the red and gold of the autumn leaves glowed. My heart lifted.

Most days, the best thing about my commute is my time on the ferry. I never tire of being on the water. I love the sound of waves splashing against the bow, the heavy salt scent in the air, and views that remind me of my city's dramatic history - Citadel Hill, George's Island, the Narrows.

The best thing about today's commute wasn't the ride on the ferry though. The best thing was climbing aboard the 8:45 bus and being greeted by John. John's been a bus driver for years and, judging by how he behaves, he seems to like his job. He greets every passenger warmly - most by name - and his passengers respond in kind, calling out to wish him a great day as they disembark.

My first morning in my new apartment, I didn't know the bus schedule so was still half a block away when the bus arrived at the stop. I started running in an effort to reach it before it pulled away - but gave up and began walking when I realized I was too late. At the same time, John saw me and hauled on the brakes, bringing the bus to a stop directly in front of me and opening the door to invite me aboard with a friendly smile. It was at that moment, I knew I'd done the right thing moving back to Nova Scotia.

So -  yes - I love my commute.

From work too - when I so often get the pleasure of seeing and photographing skies like the ones pictured  here.  I grabbed these shots with my smart phone en route to the ferry terminal tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment