Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy New Beginnings!


A dear friend posted this message on Facebook today: "Happy Easter! Happy new beginnings, happy getting through the tough times, happy being open to being surprised..."

I sometimes find it difficult to hang on to such optimism, hope and wonder. Even knowing life will feel more difficult without them, I let myself be caught up in the negativity that dominates our culture - the greed, pessimism, sense of entitlement and suspicion of others that feeds our egos, destroys our souls and makes it infinitely more difficult to tackle the challenges we face as a species. Today, however, was one of those days it was a bit easier to let go of all the nasty stuff.

I slept soundly for 11 hours last night (I can't remember when I last did that!) and woke up this morning feeling happier and more relaxed than I have in some time. Hubbie and I started the day with a leisurely coffee and a full brunch of bacon, eggs, beans, fried potatoes and toast, then decided we'd better head for our favourite beach (Rissers') to walk it off so we'd have room for an Easter dinner of barbequed moose steaks.


Normally, it would still be cool at Rissers' this time of year but, because the sun was shining so brightly and the winds blew offshore, it was a balmy 17 or 18 degrees celsius when we arrived. I immediately shed my shoes so my feet could sink into the sun-warmed sand as we walked.

About halfway along the beach, we settled ourselves to sit for an hour or so, talking quietly and drinking in the sights and sounds of the long rolling waves as they pounded the full length of the beach. (For a few more pics, click here.)

When it was time to leave, we walked to the far end and back before returning to the car, then drove slowly up the LaHave River, taking time to savour the lovely views that lay around every bend in the road.

Needless to say, going to the beach turned out to be a glorious way to spend this warm and sunny Easter - not to mention a great way to refuel our hearts, minds and spirits with positive and peaceful energy.

Namaste and happy new beginnings, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment