Saturday, January 23, 2021

Happy New Year 2021

As I look back at 2020 and, in particular, my post from a year ago, I'm reminded of just how far our world has shifted. And, though the pandemic still rages, and far too many are dying prematurely, I somehow feel an odd sense of optimism. Perhaps, because folks in our small corner of the world have done a relatively good job of pulling together to respond to covid-19 - which makes me more optimistic we can do the same to address the environmental and other crises we face. Or perhaps because so many have demonstrated strength, courage and compassion in the face of challenges that were unimaginable a year ago. I'm not sure, but in any case I cling to that small flicker of positivity to keep fear and anxiety at bay on the darkest days.

My word for 2020 was "lift" and my intention for the year was to work on lifting my own spirts and those of others so we'd all feel more optimistic about the future and our prospects for fixing our ailing planet. Looking back, I can't say I often succeeded in lifting anyone's spirits, but at least I did what I could to "flatten the curve" and support family and friends grappling with the impacts of the pandemic. 

As we head into 2021, I'm keeping my intentions modest, in line with my word for the year, which is "healing". What I primarily have in mind is healing myself physically - given my body's been more cranky than usual lately - but also my heart and my head. There are a few relationships I'd like to heal too, and of course there  are many aspects of our world in need of restoration as well.

Most years I set myself a few challenges in January to establish new patterns that will assist me in fulfilling my intentions. This year, I've set just one, which is to do 30 days of Yoga with Adriene. I always enjoy her online classes so am hopeful I'll complete the challenge but, in any case, the effort should get me doing yoga a little more regularly. 

The only other challenge I've set for 2021 is to be kinder to myself. For example, I'm giving myself permission to do whatever exercise feels right for my body rather than trying to follow a particular workout schedule slavishly. If the sun shines and I feel like running, I'll run. If I feel more like going for a walk or dancing in the attic or playing tag with the dog, I'll do that instead. And I won't beat myself up about my choices. 

The same goes for other things - like reading, writing and photography. Last year, I intended to read at least one book a week, which should have been easy to do, given we were stuck at home for the better part of 10 months. As it turned out, I did read a lot, but mostly online articles and documents associated with my various volunteer gigs rather than books. In 2021, I'll try to read more novels and short stories but, if I don't, that's okay too. 

The same goes for other interests. I'd really like to spend more time on writing, photography, quilting painting, etc., and will certainly do my best to make that happen, but I'm not going to panic if it doesn't. 

I suppose my 2021 intentions will seem unambitious to some, but 2020 was a reminder that nothing we have today is promised for tomorrow - not our health, our homes, our communities or our loved ones. Given that, my first priority this year has to be looking after myself, my family and friends, my neighbours and the planet. I'll get to the rest when I have the time, energy and inclination to do so. 

In closing, very best New Year's wishes to you and yours. And here's hoping that by this time next year the worst of the pandemic will be over and we'll be well and truly on our way to healing ourselves and the planet. 

Namaste!

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit last year as a surprise washout for reading, and this year doesn't look to be much better. This work thing is getting out of hand.

    You've just retired, so it's natural to be taking some time to settle into your new life, to find the patterns that nurture you. Plus all the uncertainty in the world these days, it's hard to make plans.

    Looking forward to seeing how your 2021 turns out!

    ReplyDelete