Sunday, January 19, 2014

Blue January days



My apology for the long silences between posts. Life's just so damned busy these days, plus I guess I'm feeling a little fragile at the moment - or maybe "raw" is a better word. We learned a couple of weeks ago that my beautiful mother-in-law, "Ma", is once again fighting cancer and we're are very worried about her. Husband immediately flew to Ottawa to be with his family so I've spent the last 9 days or so trying to keep all the balls in the air here while praying for good news. 

Work has been challenging too - lots of changes and new projects with which to contend - most of which are positive but still demanding.

And then there's the weather that can't seem to make up its mind. Two weeks ago, I ran in temperatures approaching -30 degrees C. On Thursday evening, it was +8 degrees C. In fact, it felt amazingly like spring all week - which will make the return of more normal winter temperatures next week kind of tough. It's a good thing we Nova Scotians are used to crazy shifts in weather. We have a saying here, "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes", which pretty much sums it up.

Predictably, dealing with everything has sapped my energy to the point that my running hasn't felt great lately. I've found it hard to get into a good rhythm and my runs have left me feeling tired instead of energized as they usually do. Thursday evening's run around the lake and along the harbourfront was the exception. It was a cool, still, rainy evening and my body felt reasonably good for a change, so I thoroughly enjoyed running 7k and arrived home feeling much happier and more relaxed. 

Yesterday's long, slow 15k was less successful - though I ran to and through Shubie Park, one of my favourite places. A large part of the park is designated an "off-leash dog park" and, if there's a happier place, I don't know what it is. The joy exhibited by dogs and their human companions is positively infectious. 


The mild day enticed many families to visit the park as well and it made me smile to see so many children savouring the experience of being outside, visiting with the birds and chipmunks. 


On the way out of the park, there were lovely vistas that soothed my ruffled spirits and reminded me again of how blessed I am to live in such a beautiful, peaceful part of the world.


By the time I arrived home, my spirits were much improved - though my body still felt out-of-sorts.

It looks as if the week ahead will be another challenging one - but hopefully Husband will be home at some point. In the meantime, I'll try to use my time alone productively so that things are in good shape when he arrives. Speaking of which, I guess it's time to get on with my day.

Happy running and writing friends! I'll try to be back with more regular, thoughtful posts soon. In the meantime, please keep Ma in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment