Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Running lessons: Being grateful for what is


I'm still nursing a mildly sprained knee after my trail running mishap two weeks ago. Nevertheless, my chiro, Eric, told me it would be okay to run this past weekend so long as I ran slowly and walked when/if anything started to feel uncomfortable.

Heeding his advice, Husband and I found a window between torrential downpours Saturday to complete a relaxed 6 kms along the river trail. The damp weather helped keep us cool on what might otherwise have been a steamy run and ensured we had the trail entirely to ourselves.

Then, early Sunday morning, I met my friend David for an 8.5 kms run on a coastal road that runs from Prince's Inlet (pictured above) through Second Peninsula to Bachman's Beach.

I enjoyed both outings enormously but Sunday was a particular pleasure because David is amongst my favourite running companions and we ended our workout with a refreshing swim at Bachman's Beach - one of Nova Scotia's best kept secrets.  The water is much clearer and warmer than at Risser's, where Husband and I usually swim, and the beach was pristine so it was a wonderful way to cool down.

Both runs felt good but I have to confess that my knee was a bit cranky with me afterwards so I was careful to ice it well when I got home. Eric warned me it will likely be a few more weeks before things to return to normal so I'm doing my best to be grateful that the damage wasn't more serious and that I'm at least able to run short distances. With patience and regular icing, I should still be able to train for the Cuddly Coyote 21k this fall and, in the meantime, fewer shorter runs means more time doing other things I love. 

Like attending Nova Scotia's many music festivals. For example, husband and I joined another friend, Mike, at the Halifax Jazz Festival last night  for a concert featuring Paul Chiasson and Michael Occipinti (and their respective bands) playing jazz tributes to the Beatles.  Fabulous music on the waterfront under a clear, starlit sky - it really doesn't get much better.   

No comments:

Post a Comment