Monday, May 21, 2012

The first long weekend of summer... and what a weekend it was!


We enjoyed a perfect long weekend in Nova Scotia with warm temperatures, impossibly blue skies, and brilliant spring blossoms at every turn. I ran an 8k "long run" along the river yesterday morning just to savour it, then another 8k with a good friend today because it felt so good.

Of course, 8k barely qualifies as a "long" run for me these days but I had several good excuses for not running farther.

First, I'm still recovering from my first ultra (a 50k trail run) a week ago. Though my body stood up to the experience remarkably well, I'm wise enough to realize I need to take it easy for a week or two to let it recover fully.

Second, Husband and I cycled to Mahone Bay (36k return) for lunch on Saturday. Our route followed an old rail bed so was mostly flat, but the trail was rough enough that we were tired and ready to give our butts and arms a rest by the time we made it home.

Finally - and most importantly - I needed to save my legs to run my first Cabot Trail Relay next weekend. I've been hearing about CTR for years so was thrilled when I was offered an opportunity to participate this year. I'm running leg 5 as a member of the Smokey Mountain Daredevils. It should be quite the experience. According to the official race website:
The annual Cabot Trail Relay Race is a 185 mile/276.33 km, 17 stage relay race through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world… beginning in Baddeck, Cape Breton, over steep mountains in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park, through many small communities around the famous Cabot Trail, to the gently rolling Margaree Valley.
I confess I'm a little nervous about tackling my first CTR but my team seems well-organized and I already know two of its members so, hopefully, all will be well. If nothing else, it should make for an interesting race report next week. Stay tuned. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment