Monday, May 28, 2012

Race report (Part 1): Cabot Trail Relay - a Devilish good time!

I'll post a full race report later this week. In the meantime, here's a quick photo of most of the team at the end of leg 3. (We're just missing Ron - which is a shame because he ran wearing a red kilt!).


Smokey Mountain Daredevils

Today, like all my fellow racers, I'm mourning the death of the 58 year old member of another team who collapsed and died during the last leg of the race. The news didn't reach me until this morning and details have yet to be released but it was a tragic way to end a fabulous weekend celebrating the relay's 25th anniversary.

For the running geeks out there, the Smokey Mountain Daredevils did great! Official results aren't posted yet but I think we came 16th or 17th out of 70 teams. Of course, I placed much nearer the bottom in leg 5 but was pleased all the same because I ran faster than I thought I could over 17.5k, finishing in just over 1:40 (a 5:45/km pace).

Looking forward to writing more in a few days when I've caught up a bit on both work and sleep!

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of you since I heard the news and wasn't sure if the Haligonian who passed was part of your team. Such a sad story - but he most likely was doing the thing he loved most and isn't that the point of life?

    Congrats on that pace, Janice - wow, you're getting faster and faster with every race!! Distance running is definitely your thing! Looking forward to the full race report later this week - and maybe a mileage report because you've had one very hard month and you've covered a lot of miles!

    ReplyDelete