Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Love Day!

Okay, I know I'm a day late but, personally, I think Valentine's Day celebrations are worth extending a day or two. Not the cheesy hallmark celebrations. The other kind - the ones that celebrate love in all its beautiful and varied expressions.

The truth is we never know when and where love is going to come from - which is one of the very best things about it.
 

For example, in my current job I work with an fabulous group of women who, despite being incredibly busy all day every day, still find time to care for and support one another. And they have effortlessly (it seems) offered me that same caring and support. It's wonderful knowing I have that kind of "love" waiting for me at the office every morning.  

For another example, a friend who had been home sick with a stomach flu for two days called last evening to see how I was doing because she was worried I might be lonely and missing my husband. (I did miss him but we celebrated early so I was fine with being on my own last night.)

Then, this morning I received an incredibly thoughtful, wise, funny and compassionate message from a dear friend I haven't seen in more than 20 years. It was so perfectly what I needed today that it made me cry - and reminded me yet again of how many really good people there are in the world, and how lucky I am to call so many friends.

And, then, there are all those unexpected and unnecessary acts of generosity and kindness that occur in our day-to-day interactions with people - on the bus, at the auto repair shop, in the library.  On Valentine's Day and every day, I want to make a point of noticing and celebrating those as expressions of love as well.

Love really is all around us it seems. All we have to do is pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment